USING THE PACK/UNPACK UTILITIES
Get your copy of Corey Rueckheim's PACK/UNPACK utility
Say you have NR1999 in c:\sierra\nr1999 and want to change part of
layout.dat. Here's what to do:
- Go to the layout directory:
- Make a backup copy of layout.dat:
- Make a new, temporary directory and make that one the current:
- Copy layout.dat to the temp directory:
- Unpack layout.dat:
- Replace one or more files by overwriting existing files. You cannot
add new files, unless you really know the techniques.
- Create a new layout.dat:
Note the filename here: ".PCK" and not
- Move layout.dat back to its original directory, overwriting the old
- Clean up: delete all remaining files, go back to the layout directory
and remove the temporary directory:
What if the patch doesn't work or you don't like it?
And you're back to where you were at the top of this page!
- Go back to the layout directory:
- Delete the new layout.dat (AFTER checking you still have the
- Rename the original layout.dat: